Sunday, July 11, 2010

the last words

Ay, you are like an ocean, And though heavy grounded ships await the tide upon your shores, yet, like an ocean, you would not hasten your tides. And you are also like the seasons, though in your winter you deny your spring, Yet spring reposing within you, smiles in her drowsiness and is not offended. Your words and my thoughts are waves from a sealed memory that keeps record of our yesterdays. You give much and know not that you give at all. Verily you often make merry without knowing. You sometimes called me aloof and drunk with my own solitude. How could I have seen you save from a great height or a great distance? How can one be indeed near unless he be far?
Vague and nebulous be the beginning of all things, but not their end, and I would have you remember me as a beginning.

Fare you well, o friend. Farewell to you and the youth I spent with you. A little while and my longing shall gather dust and foam for another body. It was but yesterday we met in a dream. You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky. But now our sleep is long over and the dream has faded, and it is no longer dawn. The noontide is upon us and our half waking has turned to a fuller day, and we must part. If in the twilight of memory we should meet once more, we shall speak again together and you shall sing to me a deeper song. And if our hands should meet in another dream we shall build another tower in the sky.


PS - So long. I'll always be around somewhere, not too far.
I wish I was good enough that you cared a bit. Wishful thinking, I know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment