Saturday, February 27, 2010

of career choices which i wont make

As the placements lurk around the corner once again, i am thinking too many questions, to do justice to any. And in this I end up dragging my friends, who are concerned that in my pigheadedness i might end up not taking a wise decision. I reward this thoughtfulness with some ideas of my own which i imagine makes them split their hair at the multidimensional complexity that stares back at them. Something akin to solving a system of simultaneous equations in multiple variables. And I am really thankful to all those who are unconcerned, or who at the very best manage to come up with something along 'it is your battle.you know best... it is up to you...yada yada.. saves me that much trouble. ( i otherwise hate...nay, loathe such statements ) But that apart as I think of what jobs have taken my fancy at one point or the other in life, i come up with a peculiar mix...not too imaginative i confess. But yet forming a myriad bunch with equally strange aspects that held interest. Sadly, non of them is on offer on the campus :l .......so dont let anybody con you into thinking too highly of career choices at an IIM :P

1. A plantation farmer in Assam - Perhaps the idea came when I first visited my aunt's tea gardens. One of them is situated on bangladesh border with brahmaputra forming the natural border with India. at the end of the day it is such a beautiful sight when you return back from work. The sun setting behind your hillock and clouds so low you pass through them.

2. manager of a book shop cafe situated on some hill station - I would mostly sell 'Lonely Planet', I know but then I can myself read all the books I want all day along. If once in a while someone interesting comes by engage them in conversation over a cuppa coffee...a lot can happen you know :)

3. an armyman - for some unfathomable reasons i wanted to kill people. it was when my concept of killing was limited to you fire on the bad guys and they go silent. Of course they could come back in the next movie. That was no problem, if need be they could be 'killed' again. It wasnt a morbid fancy out of viciousness but something to save the good guys you know :)

4. a canon operator - Near my grandpa's home there is the Mahajan firing range of Indian Military. Into the military exercise when they fired the shells from the 155mm Howitzers the house would tremble from the shock, it was cool and I was in awe. I still am, more so because I know they are one of those people who best understand projectile motion and their trajectories.

5. a doctor - I hate the syringe prick and in my birdbrain the power to inflict that torture was second to none. I flirted this idea for a short while, till it occured to me that it was evil and people would hate me. :)

6. a writer - The problem is you cant become one just because you would like to. It is not a skill you can learn but rather a gift. I dont have it. But then i do get that itch at times and result is those atrocities which i inflict on hindi and english alike. I call them poems before better judgment prevails.

7. the PM of India - in every kid's life there comes a time when he is supposed to write an essay on 'if i were the prime minister of india ..' It looked an important enough position but by the time i finished that one page essay in my illegible scrawl i realized what a pain in the wrong places being a PM was. I gave up on it there and then.

I never thought, till now, I would ever want to become a banker of some kind. As the life here draws to a close I think I am ready to roll the dice yet again and see what life throws back at me...

No comments:

Post a Comment